What a comparison

It was years ago when I just moved to this country of contrast, beauty, love and hate. One day I was introduce to a house when I was walking on a high end neighborhood with the sign in front of it.
Estate sale.
Inside the house was like a museum. At first I thought : the last family member died and there were no heirs left and government is selling somebody's life history here.  It was sad all of the pictures hanging on the wall, all of the golfing stuff all of the kitchen wares, old chairs with beautiful materials and lots of hanging stuff from international trips on each corner of the house was sitting humbly to be purchased. Everything smelled so old.

Like always I tried to make stories out of the pictures to understand which type of family with what type of lifestyle was living in this beautiful beach house. I respect every family and I love their life story even it is nonsense to me. I think every item or material in the life has a meaning that is part of a moment, day or life of a person.
In the house everything was marked so cheap even family pictures with or without frames! I couldn't buy anything and I was holding my tears to not to cry and was ready to runaway from the faces on the walls but a voice woke me up. A young man who was counting cash asked me to you want to take these chairs for free? I find out that he was the son of the man who just passed away in a senior housing. He was introduced me to his sister and they start talking about my country and politics as usual.  I was holding my stomach hard to not throw up on the floor. I was afraid to ask them how you can sell your parents stuff that easy! Why you're not taking pictures out of the wall and save it for yourself! I said goodbye politely and left empty hands and broken hearts.

Time goes by, now I lived in the United States long enough to understand the big differences between our culture and them. I change my life plan my goals to live close by my parents and my loved ones because they are my wealth. I keep my family pictures like jewelries always, I save our family stories and memories in the safest place even after living close to a different beliefs and culture.
I never was able to digesting the differences but another interesting story like my past experience was happen so close to me.
My parents have a skinny, tiny, kind woman as a neighbor. They started a very interesting relationship with each other a while ago. Everyday they were exchanging food, food recipes, cook books, cookies and candles or gifts and lots of thank you notes.They were talking to each other while they couldn't understand each others because of the language  differences. It seems it was enough for them to be close friends. 

Four years past, every time that my parents were leaving for a trip she was worried about them to comeback safe and she was calling me or my sister to get news from them. She was praying for my mom to come back soon. At my parents house if they were realizing that she is not being seen for two days they were worried for her. She finally got sick, really ill. Her daughter showed up after years. Trying to help her but she was helping her with a strange way. I'm not going to details! But she now decided that they have to put her in a Senior Day Care,because she's losing her job and she can not take care of the mom more than a month. 

When I asked her daughter why you have to take her to daycare? Is there any way that you can hire a nurse at home? She told me that she is going to die soon this is the best for her. They took her to the hospital and left her there. Then daughter and son started cleaning and emptying her house even when she is still alive. We saw her come back from the beach with swim suit and very happy. I was trying to explain to my parents that this is normal for them please try to understand it, you can not do anything legally.
Today my mom called and complained about another story behind the walls. She was just saying that daughter is cleaning her house completely and giving away her stuff to Salvation Army!  My dad was upset that daughter was put all of the pictures in the trash can outside! 

For my mom & dad it was the the first harsh experience but I knew it very well.
Simply we don't understand it!
I just remember sometimes that we're just going to her house and she was showing us pictures of her family members and her favorite dog , she was telling us story after stories about her life. But now her life is in the trash by her daughter's hand! 
I did cry, that is all I could do. And I did not remember when was the last time that I was cried. It did remind myself that I am still alive. At least I am glad that I don't have any kids to learn this type of ignorance.  I don't know how somebody is able to make a life vanish and destroy a life story like this.
                                                                                                                                            Feb 2013

Popular Posts